In Stock orders placed before 15:00 online, or 14:30 over the phone, will be dispatched same day. Please choose "Priority" shipping at the checkout for guaranteed next working day delivery or "Standard" for less urgent deliveries. Click for more details.
If you're not completely happy with your purchase, we'll give you a refund or replacement. Click for more details.
The Blackstone’s Senior Investigating Officer's Handbook Second Edition by Tony Cook and Andy Tattersall is a 560 page handbook suitable for the 8000 SIOs, Deputy SIOs, Assistant SIOs, DCIs and DIs involved in investigating serious crime in the UK, as well as police/CID trainers and the Serious and Organised Crime Agency. Other readers who may benefit from the Blackstone’s Senior Investigating Officer's Handbook Second Edition are law enforcement agencies, criminal lawyers, the Health and Safety Executive, the Criminal Cases Review Commission, and police studies students.
• The only portable step-by-step guide in this area, containing practical examples
• Second edition includes extra information on dealing with crime scenes, particularly terrorist-related, handling the news media and investigating the deaths of children
• Condenses relevant and important information including ACPO guidance, core doctrines, legislation and procedures into a single volume
• Includes checklists, tips and instructions for quick and easy reference at critical times during an investigation
• Experienced authors with over 50 years' policing experience between them
New to this edition:
• An extra chapter that covers dealing with sudden infant and child deaths
• Extra information on dealing with crime scenes, handling the news media and using social networking websites to good advantage, family liaison (which is being assisted by the country's lead on FLO issues)
• Additional references of dealing with drug deaths, sexual offences, deaths in the workplace and missing persons
• More inclusion of terrorist incident type considerations, particularly at terrorist related crime scenes, as well as a 5x5x5 intelligence matrix
• New content on investigating the deaths of children - an important area of an SIO’s work that was not included in the first edition
The second edition of this unique one-stop guide features key updates to all the processes and actions involved in conducting major investigations. In a clear and understandable fashion, it explains the processes, procedures and instructions integral to the role of SIO and encompasses all the vital elements for mounting successful investigations. This update sees extra information included on dealing with crime scenes, particularly terrorist-related, handling the news media and using social networking websites to good advantage, as well as the previously uncovered area -investigating the deaths of children.
A portable and accessible point of reference, the Handbook condenses ACPO guidance, core doctrines, legislation, and procedures into one volume and provides practical advice, cases and checklists for each stage of the investigation. All stages relevant to the role of an SIO are covered including: initial response; crime scene assessment; evidence gathering; dealing with suspects; and liaising with the media. Context to the procedures outlined is facilitated by case studies, which the authors supplement with explanations and important procedures and processes interwoven with examples.
This title is aimed at anyone who conducts, reviews or has a professional interest in major crime investigations, particularly homicide. It will also be of interest to those who perform call-out duties or are expected to take command and control of such incidents, making vital early decisions. It is a must have reference tool for any SIO (or prospective SIO) whether they be at beginner, intermediate or advanced level.
Product Number: 9780199586578